RETURN
SACP to issue letters of suspension to members over Tshwane protests

The South African Communist Party (SACP) in Gauteng says it will on Sunday (26 June) suspend a number of its senior leaders in Tshwane who were implicated in last week’s violence.

Speaking to the media in Johannesburg, the party’s PEC says it must deal with those who have brought the party into disrepute. This is over and above the processes that may be followed by law enforcement agencies.

The decision is based on the recommendations of a task team set up six days ago by the province’s working committee to look into the role played by members of the SACP in the unrest.

The SACP Gauteng leadership has resolved that the party must not leave internal organisational matters of ill-discipline to the police and law enforcement agencies.

SACP’s Gauteng Secretary Jacob Mamabolo says its leaders implicated in the violence in Tshwane must be held accountable by the SACP with the District Executive Committee (DEC) of Tshwane charged to oversee the disciplinary process of all implicated members.

However, swift action is needed in the case of Tshwane leaders fingered by a task team established a week ago by the provincial working committee.

Mamabolo says, “Office bearers of the SACP in the District Executive Committee in Tshwane who are involved in or implicated in bringing the name of the SACP into disrepute are suspended with immediate effect. We have identified four members in the District Executive Committee that are implicated by the report. Those members are receiving their letters first thing in the morning, that they are not part of the SACP.”

The party’s PEC has remained tight-lipped over the names of those to be suspended, only mentioning that a senior leader of the Young Communist League, its youth branch in Tshwane, is one of the five to be sacked.

It says to facilitate the rebirth of Tshwane, the African National Congress (ANC’s) Integrity Committee should look into the history of divisions in the area which it believes began with the factionalism that took root in Tshwane in 2011 when party structures held parallel regional conferences with each electing its own leadership.

SACP Gauteng Secretary Jacob Mamabolo, “We will engage our alliance partners to consider mandating the ANC Integrity Committee to fully investigate the history and subsequent trail of violence and factionalism in Tshwane. Failure to do this has far reaching and tragic consequences considering the Tshwane is haunted by the spectre of two or multiple centres of power. It is, therefore, necessary to create an enabling and conducive environment for Comrade Thoko Didiza to lead the renewal and rebirth of Tshwane.”

The Gauteng PEC’s action appears to be at odds with that of its alliance partner, the ANC. The ruling party’s Secretary General, Gwede Mantashe, has attributed the violence in Tshwane that claimed five lives to thuggery and criminality and not necessarily to the actions of ANC members.

The ANC is engaging with communities to stay calm and accept its Mayoral candidate for the metro, Thoko Didiza. It was her candidature that is widely seen as sparking the unrest.

Mambolo says the ANC is entitled to deal with the issue in its own way.

“The SACP is dealing with its members in terms of its constitution and we are not a substructure of the ANC. So, how the ANC deals with or does not deal with, we can’t enter that space; it would be completely wrong and I would like to emphasise that point. We are looking at the SACP constitution.”

The provincial SACP’s says it is committed to ensuring that the ANC receives a two thirds majority on the 3rd August, saying it will be mobilising workers through its Qina Msebenzi Campaign first launched during the 2014 general elections, at the Roslyn Motor Industrial plant this week.

It will also engage in an election poster and pamphlet blitz in the inner City of Tshwane.

RETURN
 

SABC © 2016

;