RETURN
ANC unfazed by murder of activists

The African National Congress (ANC) in the Moses Mabhida region in KwaZulu-Natal says it will not be deterred by the recent killings of two activists, but will work harder in the upcoming Local Government Elections.

The two women, Badedile Ntshapha and Phetheni Ngubane were ambushed returning from an ANC meeting last week. Their families say they have lost breadwinners.

The two were buried following a joint funeral service at Imbali township outside Pietermaritzburg in the KwaZulu-Natal Midlands. The coffins of the two slain ANC activists arrived at the Sinamuva Primary School sports ground wrapped in ANC colours.

Hundreds of ANC supporters clad in their party colours joined the families of their slain comrades to bid farewell to them. The killing of the two women follows shortly after the killing of two other ANC members Nathi Hlongwa and Simo Mncwabe.

The killings are believed to be politically motivated.

Speaking at the funeral service, ANC Women’s League President Bathabile Dlamini says the ANC has made mistakes during the nomination process for councillor positions in the upcoming elections.The ANC’s candidates list has been finalised. But the process has been embroiled in controversy.In KwaZulu-Natal, as in other areas, there were accusations of candidates being imposed by the party leadership.
Dlamini says the party has resolved to apology to its members where the mistakes occurred during the nomination process for the coming Local Government Elections.

“Yes the National Executive Committee has directed all of us to apologise where mistakes were committed in the process of nominating candidates because right now we have to campaign. These are all the things that are empowering us and teaching us about how we should continue developing and conduct our process of nomination for our candidates,” says Dlamini.

Moses Mabhida regional chairperson Mthandeni Dlungwane says ANC volunteers will go all out working for the organisation.

“Those that hope by killing our members, killing our volunteers that they will intimidate and threaten us they will not succeed we are more determined than ever before to work for our communities so that we are able to deliver. All our volunteers are very determined in working we understand that when we joined the organisation we were prepared to pay the ultimate price. If need be we are prepared we are ready  to work we are not going to be threatened by anyone,” says Dlungwane.

The families of the slain women described them as dedicated soldiers of the ANC.

The suspect 40-year-old Bonginkosi Shabalala has been charged with the murder of the two women and is expected back in the Pietermaritzburg magistrate court this coming Wednesday.

 

RETURN
 

SABC © 2016

;