Tensions around ANC candidates led to clashes in Pretoria
Fri, 17 Jun 2016 14:07:33
Tension around African National Congress (ANC) candidate nominations lists has led to renewed clashes in several townships around Pretoria.
A delivery truck has been set alight at Zithobeni near Bronkhorspruit. In Mamelodi East, potential voters blockaded the main road as ANC leaders prepare to visit the township on Friday.
Earlier, two men were killed following tension at Haakdoornlaagte.
The ANC Regional spokesperson, Teboho Joala has condemned the violence. “We are not encouraging acts of violence if there are concerns regarding the list and the ward councillor candidates.”
Joala says the ANC is calling on to stop with immediate effect and members of the ANC know the process of raising these grievance internally.
“We are listening to what their concerns are. The organisation is working on this to respond, to find an amicable way of resolving these issues. But violence is something that is not going to be tolerated and should be condemned,” he says.
Meanwhile, 15 people arrested for public violence at Ekangala earlier this week were released on free bail by the Bronkhorspruit Magistrate’s court.
The case has been postponed to the July 5.