Over 40% of candidate submissions not up to standard: N West IEC
Tue, 14 Jun 2016 07:48:18
The Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) in the North West says 40% of candidates of the 5000 submissions for the registration for the forthcoming municipal elections did not meet the required regulations.
This is because they failed to submit identity documents or sign forms accepting their nomination.
The IEC’s cut-off date for the registration of candidates intending to contest the upcoming municipal elections was June 02.
Since then, the electoral commission has been verifying the submissions and has identified over 2000 that did not comply.
According to the IEC’s provincial electoral officer, Dr Tumelontle Thiba, “Our quality assurance was very stringent- so much so that from almost all the 5000 plus submissions, over 2000 of them did not have either copies of IDs or acceptance of nominations forms or both. So we are following up on just above 2000 submissions.”
However, Thiba says those that have registered but have outstanding documentation have been given until June 20 to submit them.
“We will wait for the responses from June 14 to June 20. After that we will then start the process of identifying who exactly qualifies and who does not. On June 27, we will then have an idea of how many candidates will be on our ballot papers and how many parties from the 31 who will be contesting,” says Thiba.