Musa Masina lines up election posters with the face of ANC president Cyril Ramaphosa, before hanging them on street poles in Soweto, South Africa, on March 12, 2019 SABC News
The African National Congress (ANC) is expected to brief the media on Wednesday morning on the status of its councillor candidate registration process for the November 1 Local Government Elections.
The governing party failed to submit some lists of its candidates during the first Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) deadline on August 23.
However, earlier this month after a Constitutional Court judgment, the IEC announced its programme for the forthcoming Local Government Elections in which it reopened parties’ submission of lists of candidates.
Five pm on Tuesday was the deadline.
Parties that benefited after missing the initial deadline include the ANC, United Democratic Movement and the African Content Movement.
The ANC is expected to reveal in the media briefing if it has managed to field its candidates in all contested wards across the country.
ANC Deputy Secretary-General Jessie Duarte and her team have had a busy day on Tuesday trying to ensure that all their councillor candidates for the November 1 elections are submitted to the IEC on time.
Party Treasurer General Paul Mashatile says some wards in Gauteng especially in Tshwane were among those who missed the August deadline.
However, ANC Provincial Secretary Jacob Khawe says they have submitted as expected.
VIDEO: On Saturday, ANC president Ramaphosa led the election campaign with NEC members: